Monday, August 1, 2011

More on Amazon Cloud

I recently started working more closer with Amazon Cloud. I got the opportunity to play Elastic Load Balancer and Relational Database Service. Here are some thoughts:

  • ELB just works. It's very similar to the Amazon internal LB tool that I have used in the past, at least from the self-managing point of view.
  • I need to figure out how to add CNAME to ELB.
  • You can only each EC2 instance to one ELB, not multiple ELB. This has some limitation. For example, if I want to congiure virtual hosting in apache to use the same EC2 to serve two different web instance, I simply can't do it.
  • You can only do direct URL mapping (www.abc.com/efg => internal.server1/eft). You can't rewrite URLs on the LB level. Mod_rewrite is your friend. :P

  • RDS is very easy to setup. However, to link EC2 to RDS is not as straightforward as it should be. You have to remember the name of the security group that you want to grant access to. Why not just use a dropdown list?
  • The setup process only supports one root admin account. I'm sure that once you create you database instance, you can create more users. But it's an extra step. You also can't create access rule with different users.

No comments: